About the Hull College
The Hull College of Business at Augusta State University (ASU) has had a long history of service to the East Georgia region. Located in the second largest metropolitan area in Georgia, ASU's academic roots can be traced to 1783 when the Academy of Richmond County was chartered. Opening in 1785, it offered college-level classes for boys to enter universities as sophomores or juniors. Over the years, enrollment grew and in 1925 the Junior College of Augusta was established, becoming the first junior college in the state. In 1958, the college became a member of the University System of Georgia and its name was changed to Augusta College. Still a two-year college, it wasn't until 1963 that four-year status was gained. Following a University System of Georgia name change for most four-year colleges in 1996, Augusta College became Augusta State University.
In 1963 the Board of Regents approved programs leading to the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Science, and Bachelor of Business Administration degrees. This led to the establishment of the School of Business Administration in 1971 when the Board of Regents authorizes the college to grant Master of Business Administration.Â In 1996, the College of Business Administration was established with the change of designation of the Augusta College to Augusta State University.
In 1999, The HCB received initial accreditation from AACSB. In 2006, the College of Business was renamed to the James M. Hull College of Business in recognition of a 2 million dollar gift from Jim Hull to the college.Â This was the largest cash gift ever made to the College and University as a whole.
The mission of ASU has long been to serve the residents of the Central Savannah River Area (CSRA).Â ASU has historically been a non-residential campus with the primary location on Walton Way.Â However, University housing has been added in the fall of 2005 on the Wrightsboro Road site which is approximately 2 miles from the Walton Way site.
In the Fall of 2006, ASU enrolled a total of 6573 students of which 845 were graduate or post-baccalaureate students.Â The HCB enrolled 953 BBA and 95 MBA students.